Many people desire to have straight teeth, not only for the aesthetic appeal but also for proper biting and chewing function. Still, traditional braces aren't necessarily the preferred option for adults, and they often avoid them for a myriad of reasons like expenses, discomfort, and visibility. Fortunately, Invisalign trays offer an invisible, comfortable, and convenient choice for teeth straightening.
How Invisalign Trays Work
Invisalign trays are transparent, comfortable, and removable aligners that are custom-made to fit your teeth. They work by exerting gentle and not uncomfortable pressure on your teeth to shift them into the correct position gradually. The trays can effectively treat several dental issues, from mild to moderate misalignment, gaps, and crowded teeth.
The treatment plan includes a series of trays to wear for about two weeks each, with each tray gently guiding your teeth to the next stage of alignment. The number of trays varies from person to person, depending on the complexity of their dental condition.
Is Invisalign Right for You?
Not everyone is suitable for teeth straightening trays, as the effectiveness of the treatment depends on several factors. The severity of the dental issue, age, and oral health of the patient comes into play. Alternative teeth straightening measures can effectively treat mild to moderate cases of misalignment and bite issues.
There are other factors to consider, like whether you can commit to wearing the trays consistently for most of the day, as well as your willingness to maintain good oral hygiene throughout the treatment period.
Invisalign can also be an excellent choice for adults who prefer a subtle way to straighten their teeth, as the trays are virtually invisible and can be removed for short periods (like when eating or brushing). However, children and adolescents may not be ideal candidates for Invisalign, as their teeth may still be developing, and their compliance with wearing the trays could be an issue.
The Benefits of Invisalign Trays
Invisalign trays come with several advantages over traditional braces, including:
- They're nearly invisible — others may not even notice you're wearing them
- They're removable — this makes eating and oral hygiene easier, and potentially shortens the treatment time
- They're more comfortable — no wires or brackets to cause irritation or discomfort
- They're effective — Invisalign is proven to offer comparable results to traditional braces, even for complex dental issues
Caring for Your Invisalign Trays
Proper care of your Invisalign trays is essential to ensure and maintain their effectiveness. Your provider will give you helpful instructions on how to clean and care for the trays, but some general tips include:
- Clean the trays daily — use a soft-bristled toothbrush and a gentle or mild soap to gently clean the trays
- Avoid harsh chemicals or abrasive materials — these can damage or scratch the trays
- Don't eat or drink anything except plain water while wearing the trays — food and drink can stain the trays and cause bacterial buildup
- Don't use your trays as protectors — they're designed to move your teeth, not protect them from harm.
Braces are not the only effective way to straighten your teeth. If you're looking for an alternative to traditional braces, Invisalign or another invisible dental correction strategy may be the right choice for you.